5 Things You Didn't Know About Quartz Countertops

quartz kitchen countertops

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Quartz Countertops

Think You Know Everything About Quartz?

Haven’t you heard? Quartz countertops are in! Here at Stone International, we have both granite and quartz kitchen countertops, but if you don’t know much about the latter, here are some interesting facts:

The Composition of Quartz

You might be surprised to hear this one, but most quartz countertops aren’t entirely made of quartz. Usually, quartz kitchen countertops account for 10% of their volume to a polymeric or cement-based binder. The other 90% is actual quartz, waste marble, granite, and natural stone or recycled industrial materials like silica, mirrors, ceramic, glass, and more.

A cluster of pure quartz crystal up close. Some of this is found in quartz kitchen countertops.

Different rocks combined with binders is ultimately what makes typical quartz kitchen countertops, so it’s technically a compound, man-made stone. Although many of these slabs of stone for your kitchen are not composed of solid quartz, this isn’t a bad thing necessarily. Although we love a natural granite countertop here at Stone International, the beauty of quartz is that it’s incredibly more heavy-duty because of its high resistance to stains and scratches.

Quartz Is More Common Than You Think

Quartz kitchen countertops aren’t just the only thing, or even the main thing, that quartz is used for. Most quartz is produced for floors in places like airports, public bathrooms, and shopping malls, so you’ve probably walked on quartz way more times than you think. Using quartz for countertops in kitchens did not develop until recent years, but it’s no doubt that this material is long-lasting and sturdy.

How Quartz Affects Other Stones

Because quartz kitchen countertops are less expensive and stronger than other stones on the market, they are increasing in popularity and are becoming more common in the modern-day home. This, in turn, affects the prices of the other stones, such as granite. Because more people will be choosing quartz over granite in due time, it’s predicted that granite kitchen countertops will lower in price. If you have your heart set on this natural stone but simply don’t have the budget for it, don’t fret!

Up-close picture of granite kitchen countertop. Quartz kitchen countertops can appear very similar.

The True Color of Quartz

Because quartz kitchen countertops are composed of mostly waste materials from other manufactured products and some natural quartz, the true color of the compound stone is green. However, the fact that the materials in quartz kitchen countertops are waste does not decrease the quality of the countertop. Not only are these countertops still long-lasting and visually stunning, but also they help decrease how much waste is put into the environment by using the leftover materials of other manufactured items.

Where Quartz Comes From

Quartz kitchen countertops originally derive from an Italian company called Breton, in which they used technology to engineer their stone in 1963. After trademarking the quartz as Bretonstone®, they have licensed the technology to over fifty companies over the years in many different places around the world.
By allowing other manufacturers to make quartz, there are now hundreds upon hundreds of options to choose from when looking for the exact design and color you want for your dream kitchen.

Quartz Kitchen Countertops at Stone International

Acquiring countertops for your kitchen can be incredibly expensive, especially when combined with any other renovations you decide to do in your house. At Stone International, we pride ourselves on providing you the most high-quality kitchen countertops for the best-discounted price. Give us a call when you can and save up to 40% off when you get a free estimate!

You may also like
kitchen countertops
5 Questions To Ask When Choosing Kitchen Countertops
3 Things Every Homeowner Should Consider When Remodeling Their Kitchen
This Special Trick Can Save You Tons of Money on Repairing Existing Kitchen Countertops
Dream Kitchen With Granite Counters, Hardwood Cabinetry, Custom Lighting
Not All Cabinets Are Made The Same: Try Custom-Made Fixtures